Thursday, April 26, 2012

Book Review: Cybele's Secret by Juliet Marillier


Cybele's Secret (Wildwood #2)

Juliet Marillier


Review of Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood #1)

Publication Date:
September 9th 2008

Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers

Pages: 432

Genre: Fantasy, Mythology, Faerie

Scholarly eighteen-year-old Paula and her merchant father journey from Transylvania to Istanbul to buy an ancient pagan artifact rumored to be charmed, but others, including a handsome Portuguese pirate and an envoy from the magical Wildwood, want to acquire the item as well.


I am currently debating whether or not this or Wildwood Dancing is better. It is another hard decision, as both find themselves on my favourite's shelf and I really need to purchase them both. It was also a good idea to read it instead of listening like I did with Wildwood Dancing because I finished it much quicker and got to enjoy it at a much faster speed.

Marillier's research is fantastic. This book is not set to mirror an actual fairytale, but is more a quest and adventure that Paula is sucked into. It takes place in Istanbul as opposed to Transylvania and as I just mentioned the author's research is fantastic about the place. I felt as if I had been shoved into Turkey's past and was enchanted by pretty much everything.

The plot meanders, but at the same time it isn't slow or annoying in its meandering. It is following a path still and keeps us interested, though not taking us to the point directly. The characters once again are depth filled and interesting. The prose is enchanting. Literally there really isn't anything bad I can think of about this book's construction (I'm sure others could due to personal tastes, but not I).



I honestly loved this book so much I could go on talking about it for days. You don't have to read
Wildwood Dancing to enjoy this book, though it'll help explain the situation with Tati if you do. I recommend this book for lovers of historical fantasy, Istanbul and the idea of the Other Kingdom of fae and magical beings. And if you enjoyed Wildwood Dancing you will enjoy this as well. 


5 Bookmarks



2 comments:

Mel@Thedailyprophecy said...

I think Wildewood is better, but that's just because I liked the surroundings more :D But Cybele's secret is - like all her books - very good. I love her characters and world building :)

Sam said...

I gotta read more of her books. I read the first of the Sevenwaters forever ago, but haven't had a chance to get to the rest of the series yet. I just love the way she takes historical fiction and weaves it seamlessly with fairytales and fantasy.

Post a Comment