Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Top Ten Tuesdays: Freebie

And here is my other old favourite meme.

This week is a freebie week so I decided to do:

Top Ten Re-Readable Books/Series
In no particular order in this case
The re-readability of a book can greatly increase how much I treasure a book. Of course if a book is not re-readable it doesn't mean that it isn't good. A lot of times if the book was emotional, terrifying (I'm looking at you Don't Breathe a Word), or have a major twist in it (those more emotional twists) I can't bring myself to pick the book up again for a long time.

I guess often books with prose styles that are more "fluffy" and "comforting" are more likely to get this place for me. Many of the authors on this list have a very similar prose style.





★Deltora Quest Series by Emily Rodda
For a while I re-read this series once a year (I think for sure every year of college). I also am now slowly rereading it in Japanese, as I own the entire series (sans Book 7) in Japanese as well. So much stuff happens that I forget a lot of the details, thus re-reading it is like re-acquainting yourself with an old friend. The sequel series haven't caught my love as much as this one did, however

★Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Oh, this book. I love it so much. It's one of the first books I read where the romance is so perfectly understated. It's there, but it's not what the book is about and the romantic part of me went: that's how it should be! I guess I had been reading too many Romance Novels and gotten sick of dramatic, in your face romance. I think the lack of strong emotions in this book is what makes it so rereadable. They're there, don't get me wrong, but they don't mess with my anxiety, or make me upset with the character.

★The Shadow Queen and Shalador's Lady by Anne Bishop
These two books are apart of the Black Jewels Series by Bishop, but it specifically these two books that I have an easy time re-reading. I think it almost certainly has to do with the main character being a rather low-key type of person, especially compared to the in-your-face characters that usually occupy this series. I also enjoy the romance again with it's lack of outright drama.

★Fronteir Magic by Patricia Wrede
The Frontier Magic Series is the newest series by Wrede and it's my favourite (though all of her books are easily re-read for me). Eff is a character I love reading about and she has a quiet low-key way of coming into herself as a person (which takes all three books) despite being in rather huge situations. I also love inhabiting its world and I truly wish there were more books set in it.

★A Tale of Two Castles by Gail Carson Levine
Honestly Ella Enchanted should probably be on this list as well, but this one I've reread more recently so I thought of it first. Levine has a very smooth prose style that works well for fairytale and for writing books that I can easily re-read. 

★Trickster's Choice/Queen by Tamora Pierce
Pierce has that prose style I enjoy to re-read, though often there are twists or bits of her stories that I don't want to re-read (the twist in Beka Cooper still keeps me from being able to properly reread). There is something about the plot of the Trickster books that I quite enjoy meandering through again and again. Also Nawat is love.

★Protector of the Small by Tamora Pierce
Here is the other set of books I tend to re-read a lot. First Test I read for the first time a couple years ago (and had a review backlogged of it for those couple years), and since then I've found that this first series I completed is still my favourite. Kel is another one of those low key drama-free characters that make the books easy to revist.

★Princess Academy by Shannon Hale
My first Shannon Hale book and one I still adore. The story is sweet and easy to re-read and Hale certainly has that prose style that makes it easy.

★Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
Out of all of the Books of Bayern, it is the first that I have the easiest time re-reading. Isi, out of all the main characters is the least dramatic I'd say. Enna in the sequel is hard to revist as much as I love her, the city in the third book is drama filled and Rin in the last book is way too much like me for an anxiety free reading (though this last book is my favourite of the bunch for this same reason).

★Year of the Griffin/Darklord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones
Last, but not least (maybe even first) is The Darklord of Derkholm and Year of the Griffin a pair of books set in the same world that I read backwards. Yes, I read Griffin before Derkholm and what's great is that it stands completely on its own. Griffin I think I've reread the most out of all the books written, mostly because I've had it so long. Jones has an easy prose style, but she doesn't always have non-dramatic stories (I'm looking at you Fire and Hemlock), so the combination here is lovely.

0 comments:

Post a Comment